It was constructed from September 1932 to 1933 for the FIFA World Cup 1934, the first World Cup held in Italy, and originally held 65,000 spectators. It was originally named Stadio Mussolini, after Benito Mussolini. It was renamed to Stadio Comunale after the Second World War. For many years it was home to Juventus and Torino Calcio before Stadio delle Alpi opened in 1990. It served as the main stadium for the 1959 Summer Universiade and the 1970 Summer Universiade The stadium was abandoned for several years, before being chosen as an Olympic venue. Much of the original structure was demolished in this refurbishment. The new version of the stadium has 27,500 covered seats. The playing area is not roofed. It hosted the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2006 Winter Olympics and 2006 Paralympics as Stadio Olimpico (Olympic Stadium). After the Olympic Games, upon further reconstruction, it was to be renamed to Stadio Grande Torino (Grand Stadium of Turin) after the Torino players who died in the Superga air disaster on May 4, 1949. The "Olimpico" will be renamed at the end of its sharing between Torino F.C. and Juventus. In fact the stadium is to be used as the home ground of local football team Torino F.C. and to be temporarily used by Juventus, while its own stadium (Stadio delle Alpi) is restructured.